You are in the process of becoming a doula and can’t wait to get your doula practice started, but how do you get that important hands on experience? Most doula certifying organizations cannot offer an apprenticeship program, however many new doulas benefit greatly from working with a mentor. The Beloved Birth apprenticeship is a wonderful way to gain real world skills, while working with an experienced and respected doula! Through this program you will gain confidence, learn important skills, and have a head start in building your doula business.
See the different options below and choose the right one for you! Contact Amy for more information.
Doula Exploration Consult
Thinking about becoming a doula? Wondering how to get there and what life is like as a doula? Then this is the perfect option for you. Sit down with an experienced doula and have all your questions answered and explore your goals and options.
A one-on-one Meeting to discuss, up to two hours- (can be in person or via Skype)
- Your goals
- Why you want to be a doula
- Demands on family life
- What it’s like to be on call
- Typical needs of a single client
- Your training and certification options
You would love the support of a mentor doula, but can’t find one in your area? This is the perfect option for you.
- One-on-one 1 hour meeting to discuss your goals, via Skype
- One-on-one mock interview, via Skype
- One meeting before two of your client visits, via Skype or Phone
- One meeting after each client visits to discuss how they went, via Skype or Phone
- Review of website
- Assistance creating service packages
- Guidance for 1 complete client cycle
Doula Apprenticeship Program
Are you a new doula looking for experience and guidance as you begin your journey? During this program, you will improve your knowledge and skills while observing and collaborating with an professional doula, and experiencing what it’s like to provide doula support to expectant families.
- One-on-one one hour meeting to discuss your goals
- Prenatal visits with clients
- One meeting prior to each client visit, via phone
- One meeting after each client visit, via phone or in person
- Guidance and feedback with 2 of your own clients
- Free attendance to any birth class Beloved Birth offers
- Attendance at 1 birth, with the possibility of more * * All attendance at visits and births are subject to parent’s approval. Births attended with Beloved Birth may not count towards your certification. Please check with your certifying organization.
- Review of website
Qualifications for Doula Apprentice and Distance Mentor programs
- In the process of certifying as a doula or a currently certified.
- Familiarity with childbirth, sexuality and reproductive health issues.
- Ability to relate in a non-judgmental, supportive basis to individuals with a wide range of needs and problems; ability to provide responsible information and support.
- Emotional maturity, sense of humor and the ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Sensitivity to the needs of and difficulties faced by women and their families during both the prenatal and postpartum period.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends*
- Availability for daytime and evening prenatal and postpartum visits*
- Ability to be on-call during for births *
- Reliable childcare, if you have children*
- Ability to respond to on-call clients 24/7 *
- Reliable mode of transportation with-in a 45 mile radius of Lexington, KY *
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft office and social media resources
* Only applies to the Doula Apprenticeship Program